Last week, Urban Armor Gear (UAG) kindly sent me out one of its Rogue Folio cases for the iPad Air 2 to review and I have to say that I was impressed by the amount of protection such a lightweight case can offer. Boasting a 4 foot drop rating (MIL STD 810G 516.6), this case does add some bulk to your iPad Air 2, but it remains quite lightweight and has a grippy texture that many will appreciate. Unlike a phone case, which must be slippery enough to slide in and out of pockets without significant hindrance, a tablet case has little reason to need slipperiness. More grip is nearly always better in the tablet case world, in my opinion. The Rogue Folio has a fold over cover that protects the screen when closed, and will stay closed with a convenient small magnetic flap, and folds out into an attractive, functional stand with multiple viewing angles. The folio cover can also be folded flat against the back when it is not needed.
- 4 foot drop protection
- Automatic sleep/wake functionality
- Good screen protection due to a significant lip all around the screen and slightly protruding corners
- Nicely sized cut-outs for speaker and lightning port–easily accessible volume and sleep/wake button. These buttons are not covered, but there is quite a bit of rubber around them and they should be well protected except in a very unlikely fall
- Outer ‘Frog Skin’ coating is water repellent, although the case itself is not waterproof
- Stand function works well and can be put in multiple positions
- Bright red color is bound to stand out in the crowd and make it hard for you to lose your iPad
- Magnetic closure does a great job of keeping the Rogue Folio closed.
- Relatively thick
- Magnetic closure flap doesn’t have any place to go when it is not being used to close the folio. Will not adhere magnetically to the bottom side of the folio.
The Rogue Folio can be purchased directly from Urban Armor Gear for $49.95:
or from Amazon for $33.99 at the time of this review:
If you are curious, here are some more pictures of the UAG Rogue Folio for iPad Air 2:
And here is a link to my YouTube review of this case: