When the Doc Artisan company kindly agreed to send me a review sample of their Sport Leather Wallet Combo Case for the 6 Plus, I was both excited and somewhat dubious. The reviews for the case on the website were glowing, but could any case be that good? And would the removable inner phone case attached by magnets to the outer wallet case really work? Well, when the case got here last week, I opened the attractive package with some degree of trepidation. First impressions were extremely favorable–wow, the leather was nice! And the magnet holding the inner case in place certainly seemed strong–would it work with the weight of an iPhone 6 Plus inside it? I quickly put my iPhone 6 Plus inside the Sport Leather Wallet Combo case and was duly impressed with the magnetic attachment system–it holds the inner phone case in place very firmly. Shaking won’t dislodge it–you have to actively pull the inner case off the magnetic outer wallet. It works remarkably well.
Over the next week, I used the case daily and was just very impressed with its functionality, construction, and overall luxurious feel. Doc Artisan has crafted a truly high quality product in the Sport Leather Wallet Combo Case.
What’s great about this case:
- Leather quality: the leather is thick, supple and has a very grippy texture. It’s a pleasure to touch.
- Magnetic case attachment system: it works exactly as advertised. Inner case will not get detached accidentally, but is relatively easy to pull off the outer case when you want to use the inner case by itself
- Magnets are located in the outer case, not the inner case: if you are worried about them interfering with NFC or anything else. The manufacturer states on the website that the magnets aren’t strong enough to cause any interference with NFC, Optical Image Stabilization or Compass functions or cause damage to the magnetic strips on your credit cards, but it’s nice to be able to remove the phone from the magnetic outer case if you want to be extra safe.
- Elastic closure strap: I’m a fan of having some sort of closure system with wallet style cases and the strap on this case works well to keep the wallet closed.
- Nicely finished inner phone case: In some wallet style cases, all the effort seems to be expended on the outer leather wallet and the inner card slots, leaving the inner phone cradle made of cheap quality plastic. The Sport Combo Wallet, on the other hand, has clearly put a lot of thought into the inner phone case. It is nicely crafted, with a soft touch polycarbonate plastic interior and outer sides, and a piece of leather which matches the rest of the wallet attached to the outer back. The iPhone 6 Plus is easy to insert into the inner case, and easy to get out as well. Everything fits very well, and all the openings are all well sized. When the inner phone case is being used alone, it feels very nice in the hand.
- Generous number of card slots: the wallet section of the case has slots for four credit cards and has two inner slide pockets for additional cash or receipts. This is more wallet space than most wallet cases have.
- Stitching: the stitching is very nicely done and adds a nice touch to the look of the case.
- Screen protector is included: a plastic screen protector is included with this case, which is a nice touch. I didn’t put on the screen protector, as I have a Zagg Glass tempered glass screen protector on my 6 Plus, but it was nice to have one included as many case manufacturers have stopped doing that.
What’s not so great?
- If you load up the case with cards, it will still close fine with the elastic strap, but it doesn’t look quite as sleek as it does with a lighter load. This is a pretty minor quibble, however and is true for every wallet case I’ve tried.
- Case is a little on the heavy side, due to the thick leather, magnets and heavy duty construction, but this is simply a tradeoff that needs to be made with a case of this sort. It really didn’t bother me.
Overall, I absolutely love this case. At $80, it is a little on the high end in terms of price, but the quality and functionality are both outstanding. Try it–you will love it!!
It is available from the Doc Artisan (also known as Dock Artisan–they are in the midst of a name change) website:
Here are some more pictures of the case:
Finally, if you’d like more details on this outstanding case, here is a link to my YouTube review on the Doc Artisan Sport Leather Wallet Combo Case: