OK, I admit I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for Tech21. Their products are top-notch, they have excellent customer service, and I love the idea that my precious iPhone is being protected from harm by some sort of magical gel. I’m happy to say that the Tech21 Classic Shell with Cover meets and even exceeds my expectations as yet another great Tech21 case.
As the name would suggest, the body of the Classic Shell with Cover has Tech21’s Classic Shell at its heart. If you’ve had a Tech21 case before, this part of the case should seem quite familiar. Glossy, slightly grippy TPU sides with an orange band–the magic D3O impact protective gel–peeking through, and a translucent TPU back. Good, firm fit, but easy to get on and off. Great case…but wait, there’s more! This version also has a cover, impregnated with more D3O, which will give your iPhone’s screen an added level of protection. Lined with microfiber on the inside and with a textured, slightly rubbery material on the outside, the cover feels nice in the hand and helps you keep a firm grip on your iPhone. It folds back easily for one handed use, and doesn’t have a latch or any sort of magnetic closure, but seems to want to stay closed, if that makes any sense. Once you close it, the cover flap seems happy to stay in that position and will slide in and out of pockets or purses in a closed state.
What’s great about this case?
- Impact protection. I love the fact that this case is protected by D3O protective gel not only on the edges of the case, but also on the cover, which might protect the screen in the event of a fall if it happens to fall with the cover closed.
- Grippy, yet comfortable material. The particular blend of TPU that Tech21 uses has a very nice feel in the hand and is just grippy enough without being too grippy. It also blends well with the feel of the integrated cover.
- Excellent fit. The TPU sides hug your iPhone tightly for a very nice, secure fit.
- Easy to use buttons and cutouts: The buttons are all easy to push and the port cutouts are plenty big for any third party cables you might want to use.
What’s not so great?
- Camera cutout is rather large for no apparent reason. This has been true for a number of the Tech21 case models for the 6 and 6+, but the Apple Store-exclusive Tech21 Evo Mesh cases have a much smaller camera cutout, so perhaps Tech21 plans to downsize its camera cutout size. To me, the camera cutout size is not a big deal, but it does look a bit oversized.
Overall, I think the Tech21 Classic Shell with Cover is a fantastic case, and I thank the kind folks at Tech21 for sending me out this sample to review. I like the idea that my vulnerable screen is protected in dangerous areas such as my purse or pocket, and that the case as a whole is giving my iPhone Tech21’s signature Impactology protection.
Here are a few more pictures of the Classic Shell with Cover:
The Tech21 Classic Shell with Cover is available from Tech21 directly for $44.99, and comes in Clear, Pink, Blue and Smokey:
For more details on this excellent case, check out my YouTube review: