The Thule Atmos X4 is Thule’s long-awaited successor to its extremely impressive Atmos X3 case. With a beefed up exterior and a built-in screen protector, the Thule Atmos X4 offers the iPhone protection and screen protection you’ve been looking for. I’ve always been a huge proponent of the Thule Atmos X3, due to its outstanding grip, overall toughness, and great hand feel. The Atmos X3 provides 6 feet of drop protection and has a 25 year warranty to boot. However, I’ve always been a little nervous about the screen protection with the X3, due to its small lip and lack of integrated screen protection. The Atmos X4 addresses these shortcomings to give you the most protective Thule case yet for the iPhone 6. However, it is not without issues. The design of the screen protector makes it difficult to swipe up to access the Control Center and the screen protector itself is rather finicky to install. * Update: this issue has now been fixed! Thule has updated the screen protector to fix the control center issue and the X4 cases with the updated screen protectors should be in increasingly wide circulation starting in October of 2015. See updated review here: https://youtu.be/3fGZZvWUB2E *
1. 6 foot drop protection.
2. StratoShield screen protection gives you 5 times more screen protection than a bare iPhone screen alone.
3. As it adheres to the surface of the iPhone’s screen, rather than floating on top, the StratoShield screen protector provides excellent screen sensitivity and optical clarity.
4. Outstanding grip and hand feel; even better than its predecessor, the Atmos X3, due to the addition of grip lines on the back and sides.
5. Generous port openings shouldn’t restrict you from using any of your third party headphones or lightning cables (a nice change from the rather small port openings of the Atmos X3).
6. Metal buttons add a little bling and are very clicky and easy to press, which is another improvement on the Atmos X3.
7. Adds minimal thickness to your iPhone 6 Plus as compared to the amount of protection it provides. Only very slightly thicker than the Atmos X3.
1. Screen protector is somewhat tricky to install.
Conclusion: At $59.95, the Thule Atmos X4 gives you a lot of bang for your buck. You get an excellent phone case with outstanding screen protection and drop protection that looks great while protecting your iPhone. Admittedly, it isn’t a waterproof case, but at that price point, most cases aren’t. It is available in three color combinations: black, grey and white and black and orange/red. You can currently purchase the Atmos X4 only from Thule directly, but I expect that it will soon show up in Best Buy and REI like its predecessor, the Atmos X3:
Finally, if you’d like more details, here is a link to my YouTube review:
And here is a link to my updated YouTube review for the iPhone 6s Plus version, with the fixed screen protector: