Speck has always been one of my favorite case manufacturers—they make attractive, user-friendly cases which have mil-spec drop protection. However, they’ve never had a folio style case for the iPhone…until now! The CandyShell Wrap is Speck’s first folio-style case for the iPhone and it is really fantastic. First of all, it is the first truly hardshell folio case that I have encountered. Folio cases typically have flexible covers, but the CandyShell Wrap’s cover is the same material as the rest of the case—the classic Speck co-molded rubber on the inside and hard polycarbonate on the outside. It has a clasp which keeps it very securely closed, and the folio cover folds over to the back for one handed operation. Interestingly, it is designed to cover only about 60% of the back of the iPhone when folded over, so it allows the camera to be used when the cover is folded back. This is a huge improvement over most folio covers, which seriously impede photography. However, while non-flash pictures can be taken easily with the folio cover folded back, flash photography is a bit trickier. Unless you pull the cover out of the way, it sits very slightly in front of the flash and will cause issues for your flash photography.
1. Drop tested to meet or exceed military standards, which I believe means surviving a series of 4 foot drops from various angles.
2. Securely latching hardshell folio cover should do an excellent job protecting the screen of your device. This is a perfect phone case for back to school!
3. Nice amount of lip around the screen should also add to screen protection.
4. Rubber covered buttons are easy to press and nicely clicky.
5. Ability to take photos with folio cover folded back is wonderful.
6. CandyShell Wrap is remarkably thin. It appears to be the same thickness as Speck’s standard CandyShell cases, so the folio cover adds essentially no thickness.
7. Cutout on folio cover for ear speaker allows you to talk on your iPhone with the folio cover closed.
8. Construction of the CandyShell Wrap seems top notch. My iPhone 6 Plus feels very well protected!
1. Flash photography is certainly possible, but you have to make sure that the cover is not blocking the flash.
The Speck CandyShell Wrap is a super slim, tough little folio case that does a great job protecting your iPhone 6 or 6 Plus from life’s hazards. Its enhanced degree of screen protection is especially welcome, given that the screen is the part of the iPhone most susceptible to damage. For parents whose kids are toting around iPhones in their backpacks, the CandyShell Wrap is a slam-dunk. The securely latching hardshell cover should protect their fragile iPhones from the pencils, keys, and various other hazards lurking in their backpacks.
The CandyShell Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus is priced at $59.99 and is available directly from Speck as well as from Best Buy, Amazon, and other retailers:
Finally, if you’d like more details, here is a link to my YouTube review: