Speck makes great cases, and they definitely have a winner with their new MightyShell and MightyShell + Faceplate for the iPhone 6 Plus. Best known for their iconic CandyShell cases, which target the midlevel protective case market, Speck decided to go more hard core with the MightyShell line. While the standard CandyShells are certified to meet or exceed military drop test standards, the MightyShell doubles that protection to 2x mil-spec drop test standard and adds super-grippy rubber sides and a scratch-resistant back to the case. And for those who want to add additional screen protection to this already-protective case, the MightyShell is also available for $15 more with Speck’s new Faceplate; an integrated screen protector with 2x the shatter protection of an unprotected screen. An adhesive screen protector, the Faceplate has excellent optical quality and touch sensitivity and is extremely easy to install.
1. Excellent Protection: MightyShell is drop tested to meet 2x military drop test standards, which I believe means surviving a series of 8 foot drops from various angles. Most protective cases have a 4 foot or 6 foot drop test certification; the MightyShell aims to a higher standard.
2. Higher Lip: The enhanced lip should give lots of protection to the delicate screen of your iPhone 6 Plus.
3. Great Grip: the perimeter of the case is encased in extremely grippy rubber, making accidental drops much less likely.
4. Scratch Resistant: The back of the MightyShell is made of a very sturdy matte polycarbonate material which is extremely scratch resistant and doesn’t show smears or fingerprints.
5. Build Quality: Construction feels very solid.
6. Third Party Cable Compatibility: the MightyShell’s generously sized port openings should accommodate most third party headphone and lightning cables with ease.
7. Lifetime Warranty: Speck has built this case to last!
8. Easy Faceplate Install: The optional Faceplate screen protector is one of the easiest screen protectors I’ve installed.
9. Excellent Optical Clarity and Usability: The Faceplate screen protector has extremely good optical clarity and touch sensitivity.
10. 2x Shatter Protection: The Faceplate screen protector increases the overall protection offered by the MightyShell by adding 2x shatter protection for the iPhone’s delicate touchscreen.
1. Harder to Get Out of Your Pocket: Grippy rubber on the case sides makes it slide less easily in and out your pocket, but that is a trade-off to be made with all grippy cases, and it is one I am happy to make.
2. Increased Size: Slightly larger than the CandyShell Grip in length, width and depth due to increased protective features.
3. Install/Removal More Challenging: A little harder than the CandyShell to get on and off your iPhone due to the higher lip of the MightyShell.
With its extra-grippy sides, enhanced lip, and 8 foot drop protection, the Speck MightyShell rocks, and the MightyShell + Faceplate is even better. This is a great option for those who love Speck cases, but would like to kick their protection up a notch. Go hard core with the Speck MightyShell!
Priced at $54.95 for the MightyShell for iPhone 6 Plus and $69.95 for the MightyShell + Faceplate, the MightyShell is available in six color combinations directly from Speck as well as from Best Buy, Amazon, and other retailers:
Finally, if you’d like more details, here are links to my YouTube reviews:
MightyShell for iPhone 6 Plus:
MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus:
MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus: Installation Video: