Speck is well known for their protective and high quality cases, but in their CandyShell Inked line, they have ventured into new territory with cases featuring bold, high resolution graphics and glossy scratch-resistant coatings. The CandyShell Inked cases meet or exceed the same military drop test standards as the other CandyShell varieties and are available in a multitude of different designs. The review sample that Speck was kind enough to send out to me was in the Lush Floral pattern—one of the seven CandyShell Inked designs for the iPhone 6 Plus—and I was quite impressed with the vibrancy of the colors and the high degree of gloss in the finish. Speck advertises the Inked line as having a scratch resistant finish, and it is hopefully more scratch-resistant than their regular polycarbonate cases, but I would keep in mind that ‘scratch resistant’ does not mean ‘scratch proof’. I’m sure that the Inked line will scratch, given rough enough treatment, but ideally the underlying graphics will not be affected.
The construction of the CandyShell Inked case seems quite solid; it is a classic Speck co-molded case, with a hard, glossy, polycarbonate shell on the outside and a protective rubber lining on the interior. Like all Speck CandyShell cases, it is tight-fitting and case insertion and removal is slightly challenging. It requires a little more time and patience than with some cases, but the final result is a case that hugs your phone and provides excellent protection.
1. Mil-Spec Protection: Meets or exceeds mil-spec drop test standards
2. Protective Lip: Relatively high lip gives you excellent lay-on-the-table design and should do a good job protecting your screen.
3. Great Graphics: Glossy, high res graphics make the CandyShell Inked stand out from the crowd.
4. Easy Pocketability: Slim, smooth case design should slip in and out of pockets with ease.
5. Well Designed Buttons and Port Openings: Buttons are easy to press and nicely clicky, and port openings are well positioned and generously sized.
Overall, this is a very nice case. With the CandyShell Inked, you don’t have to sacrifice protection to get a pretty, stylish case. Available in seven distinctly different designs, the CandyShell Inked for iPhone 6+ has an MSRP of $44.95 and is available directly from Speck, as well as from Best Buy and other retailers:
Finally, if you’d like more details, here is a link to my YouTube review: