With the CandyShell Grip + Faceplate, Speck takes an already wonderful case—the CandyShell Grip—and adds an integrated screen protector with impact protection to create a seriously protective case solution in a very slim package. The addition of the Faceplate adds a minuscule amount of thickness to the CandyShell Grip, but in doing so, it gives your iPhone’s screen twice the shatter protection it would otherwise have. The CandyShell Grip case itself is rated to meet or exceed military drop test standards, so the overall combination should do an excellent job of safeguarding your iPhone.
1. Grip: Rubber grip lines on the sides and back of the CandyShell Grip make sure your iPhone stays securely in your hand.
2. Drop Protection: Rated to meet or exceed mil-spec drop standards.
3. 2x Shatter Protection: The integrated Faceplate screen protector provides twice the shatter protection of a naked iPhone screen.
4. Nicely sized port openings and easy to press buttons: No problems with third party cables.
5. Excellent optical clarity and screen sensitivity: Once installed correctly, the Faceplate screen protector is a pleasure to use.
1. Faceplate is tricky to install: There is very little room for error when installing the Faceplate—tolerances are tight, and if you don’t get it on exactly right, you have to lift it up and re-do it. Fortunately, it is quite forgiving and multiple do-overs don’t seem to cause any problems.
Conclusion: I love the CandyShell Grip + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus. It is very pleasing in the hand and makes my iPhone feel very secure and protected, without making it overly bulky. Correct installation of the Faceplate is the only stumbling block here—the footprint of the Faceplate is only a tiny bit smaller than the inner lip of the CandyShell Grip, so getting it lined up correctly is a bit of a painstaking process. Once on correctly, however, it is a very nice addition to the CandyShell Grip, and its 2x shatter protection is very reassuring. The CandyShell Grip + Faceplate for iPhone 6+ is available in four colors directly from Speck, as well as from various retailers, for $49.95:
Finally, if you’d like more details, here is a link to my YouTube review: