If you like grippy Speck cases, but you want more drop protection than the CandyShell Grip provides, you might want to consider the MightyShell. With twice the drop protection of other Speck iPhone cases, a highly scratch resistant polycarbonate back, and extremely grippy sides, the MightyShell is an attractive alternative to the many super bulky protective cases on the market. Like most Speck cases, it also comes in a number of attractive colors: there are currently eight color combinations available. Personally, I am quite partial to the Lilac Purple version that Speck was kind enough to send me out to review: I think it looks sharp on my Rose Gold iPhone 6s Plus.
1. Enhanced Drop Protection: MightyShell is drop tested to meet 2x military drop test standards, which I believe means surviving a series of 8 foot drops from various angles. Most protective cases have a 4 foot or 6 foot drop test certification; the MightyShell aims to a higher standard.
2. Higher Lip: The enhanced lip should give lots of protection to the delicate screen of your iPhone 6 Plus.
3. Great Grip: the perimeter of the case is encased in extremely grippy rubber, making accidental drops much less likely.
4. Scratch Resistant: The back of the MightyShell is made of a very sturdy matte polycarbonate material which is extremely scratch resistant and doesn’t show smears or fingerprints.
5. Build Quality: Construction feels very solid.
6. Third Party Cable Compatibility: the MightyShell’s generously sized port openings should accommodate most third party headphone and lightning cables with ease.
7. Lifetime Warranty: Speck has built this case to last!
1. Harder to Get Out of Your Pocket: Grippy rubber on the case sides makes it slide less easily in and out your pocket, but that is a trade-off to be made with all grippy cases. Unlike the CandyShell Grip, however, it is only grippy on the sides, and not the back.
2. Increased Size: Slightly larger than the CandyShell Grip in length, width and depth due to increased protective features.
3. Install/Removal More Challenging: Harder than the CandyShell to get on and off your iPhone due to the higher lip of the MightyShell. It is eminently doable, but it does require more effort.
Conclusion: The MightyShell is an excellent case: it’s hard to go wrong with eight feet of drop protection, super grippy sides, a very scratch resistant back, an extra high lip around the screen, and a lifetime warranty. It’s not for everyone, though. It is harder than a regular CandyShell to get on and off your phone and thus not ideal for frequent case changers. With an MSRP of $54.95 (a $15 premium over the standard CandyShell cases), it is available directly from Speck, from Amazon, and from various other retailers.
Finally, if you’d like more details, here is a link to my YouTube review:
Speck creates award-winning cases designed to make an impact – and take one. Since 2001, we’ve been making distinctive products for the world’s top smartphones, tablets, laptops, watches, and backpacks. We deliver a balance of artful design and military-grade protection, for a difference you can see and feel. Our roots are in the heart of Silicon Valley, at the intersection of design and technology, inspiring us to craft masterfully engineered products. We believe that excellence is in the details, which is why we create cases that enable you to go more places and enjoy more from your mobile devices. Get to know us at speckproducts.com or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.