If you have an iPhone 6s Plus and are looking for a slim, protective case that feels great in the hand and has just the right amount of grip, you should definitely consider the new and improved Otterbox Symmetry. Introduced with the iPhone 6 line, the original Otterbox Symmetry was a great case, but with the new Otterbox Symmetry for iPhone 6s Plus, Otterbox has really hit one out of the park. Otterbox was kind enough to send me out both the old and new versions of the Otterbox Symmetry to compare, and although the original version is an undeniably solid choice, several design changes have made the new Symmetry a clear winner. First of all the new Symmetry case is thinner and appears to be very slightly narrower as well. The fit of the new Symmetry is a little tighter than the old one, resulting in a better fit overall, especially at the bottom of the case. Both cases have a similar type of construction, with a hard, smooth matte-finished polycarbonate back joined to a grippy rubber interior. The rubber interior extends outwards to form a lip around the iPhone screen and a band of rubber runs around the sides of the case, providing additional grip. The fit between the polycarbonate back and the rubber sides is better and more visually pleasing on the updated Symmetry case, as there is a rather wide groove that runs between the two materials on the older version of the case. In addition, the design of the new Symmetry gives it a wider band of rubber around the sides of the case, resulting in a considerably improved grip. All in all, Otterbox has taken a very good case and elevated it to an excellent one.
* Drop Protective and More: Symmetry cases undergo more than 24 tests and 238 hours of testing during their development.
* Scratch-Resistant Exterior: Tough matte-finished polycarbonate exterior seems very scratch-resistant and has a comfortable feel in the hand.
* High Lip: Rubber lip surrounding the screen is quite high and should give significant protection in the event of a fall.
* Moderate Grip: A relatively wide band of rubber runs around the sides of the case, giving it a noticeable amount of grip. However, the back is smooth, so the case still slides easily in and out of pockets and handbags.
* Generous Port Openings: Port openings are large enough to accommodate most third party headphones and lightning cables.
* Easy to Click Buttons: Buttons are rubber covered for protection and are pleasantly easy to press.
* Beautiful Designs: The Symmetry case is available in a multitude of different colors and designs. This particular Symmetry case is part of their Graphics series, which features various designer patterns.
* Great Hand Feel: This case just feels wonderful to hold and is a pleasure to have on your iPhone.
* No Drop Protective Height Specified: Otterbox lists, in great detail, all the different test standards this case is held to, and refers to it as a drop protective case, but no specific drop height is mentioned, nor is a mil-spec rating.
Conclusion: This case was an instant favorite out of the box. It is simply outstanding. The only concern I have with it is its lack of a stated drop-protection height rating, but this is a pretty minor quibble. It’s a great case! With an MSRP of $49.95, it is available from Otterbox directly as well as from Amazon and other retailers, and right now, for Christmas, Otterbox is offering it for 25% off.
Finally, if you’d like more details, here is a link to my YouTube review: