Featuring a scratch and fingerprint resistant matte polycarbonate back, combined with a shock-absorbing rubber lining and polycarbonate and rubber sides, the Symmetry Colors Edition is a line of tough, protective cases from OtterBox with a slim and attractive form factor. One of my favorite iPhone case families, the Symmetry line from OtterBox is comprised of a number of sub series: Symmetry Clear, Symmetry Graphics, Symmetry Colors, Symmetry Leather, and Symmetry Limited Edition. I’ve had the opportunity to review cases from the Clear, Graphics, and Colors lines and while the Clear is rather different from the other Symmetry lines and actually has more in common with the OtterBox Statement, the Symmetry Colors and Graphics lines are pretty much exactly the same, other than the exterior design. The Graphics line, as the name would suggest, features designer graphics on the matte polycarbonate shell, while the Colors cases come in a variety of attractive solid color matte polycarbonate exteriors coupled with rubber interiors and sides in complementary shades. There are six colors available in the Colors line: Black, Rose, Prevail, Boardwalk, Blueberry and Frozen Plum, and OtterBox was kind enough to send me out the Rose and Blueberry versions to review.
* Certified by OtterBox’s Drop+ Protection program: Symmetry cases undergo more than 24 tests and 238 hours of testing during their development.
* Scratch-resistant exterior: Tough matte polycarbonate exterior seems very scratch and fingerprint-resistant and has a comfortable feel in the hand.
* High Lip: Rubber lip surrounding the screen is quite high and should give significant protection in the event of a fall.
* Nicely Grippy: A relatively wide band of rubber runs around the sides of the case, giving it a noticeable amount of grip. However, the back is smooth, so the case still slides easily in and out of pockets and handbags.
* Generous Port Openings: Port openings are large enough to accommodate most third party headphones and lightning cables.
* Easy to Click Buttons: Buttons are rubber covered for protection and are pleasantly easy to press.
* Nice Color Combinations: From the sedate and serious Black to the fanciful Boardwalk, the Symmetry Colors line has something to please most tastes. And if you don’t see a color combination you like in the Colors line, there is always the Graphics and Clear series to consider!
* Great Hand Feel: This case just feels wonderful to hold and is a pleasure to have on your iPhone.
* No actual drop height rating available: OtterBox’s Drop+ Protection program sounds great, and very comprehensive, but for purposes of comparison, it would be helpful if a specific drop height rating was assigned to the various case lines.
Conclusion: The Symmetry Colors Series is another great OtterBox Symmetry line. The cases are protective, relatively easy to get on and off your phone and very pleasant to use. With an MSRP of $49.95, the Symmetry Colors line comes in six color variations and is available from OtterBox and from various other retailers.
For more information, feel free to check out my YouTube video review: