Normally I review iPhone cases, but when I did a 30 day trial of the Galaxy Note 5, I knew I wanted a nice, slim, protective case on it for the trial period, and Speck was kind enough to oblige. They sent me a sample of each of their three case lines for the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 to review: a CandyShell, CandyShell Grip and CandyShell Inked. Not surprisingly, the Speck cases for the Note 5 were very similar to ones I had previously reviewed for the iPhone 6s Plus. With the exception of the CandyShell, I had reviewed exact color and style twins of all the Galaxy Note 5 cases Speck sent out to me. Port openings were different, of course, and the Note 5 has an opening for its very useful stylus, but other than that, they seemed like basically the same cases I had come to know and love for the iPhone 6s Plus.
All Galaxy Note 5 Cases featured:
* Mil-Spec Protection: Meets or exceeds mil-spec drop test standards.
* Protective Lip: High lip gives you excellent lay-on-the-table design and should do a good job protecting your screen.
* Well Designed Buttons and Port Openings: Buttons are easy to press and nicely clicky, and port openings are well positioned and generously sized.
The CandyShell and CandyShell Inked cases had:
* Glossy Polycarbonate shells
* Easy Pocketability: Slim, smooth case design should slip in and out of pockets with ease.
The CandyShell Inked is notable for its:
* Great Graphics: Glossy, high res, wraparound graphics make these cases stand out from the crowd.
* Scratch and Fade Resistant Finish: Beautiful graphics should stay looking lovely longer due to specially coated exterior finish.
The CandyShell Grip stands out with its:
* Fantastic Grip: Super grippy rubber strips create an attractive pattern on the CandyShell Grip and make it super secure in the hand.
The CandyShell and CandyShell Inked cases have a propensity for scratching due to their glossy finish, and they are also rather slippery in the hand. The CandyShell Inked has a special, scratch resistant coating which helps somewhat with the scratching issue, but the case will still scratch…just less. The CandyShell Grip doesn’t suffer so much from this problem, due to its rubber grip strips, as the phone tends to rest on the grip lines, rather than the polycarbonate back, when placed on a flat surface. However, the CandyShell Grip is so grippy that it is a bit harder to slip in and out of pockets and handbags. Alas, nothing is perfect:)
Conclusion: Overall, these are all outstanding cases and should do a excellent job in protecting your Galaxy Note 5. With their mil-spec protection, high lip, and attractive designs, the CandyShell, CandyShell Inked and CandyShell Grip are great case choices. Many thanks to Speck for sending these out to me to review. The cases are available directly from Speck, as well as from other retailers.
The CandyShell Grip (retails for $39.95):
The CandyShell (retails for $39.95):
The CandyShell Inked (retails for $44.95):
Finally, if you’d like more details, here is a link to my YouTube review:
Speck creates award-winning cases designed to make an impact – and take one. Since 2001, we’ve been making distinctive products for the world’s top smartphones, tablets, laptops, watches, and backpacks. We deliver a balance of artful design and military-grade protection, for a difference you can see and feel. Our roots are in the heart of Silicon Valley, at the intersection of design and technology, inspiring us to craft masterfully engineered products. We believe that excellence is in the details, which is why we create cases that enable you to go more places and enjoy more from your mobile devices. Get to know us at speckproducts.com or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.