Need a waterproof case but hate screen protectors? The LifeProof NUUD is the case for you! Boasting the same 6.6 ft of drop protection and IP68 waterproof rating of its cousin the FRE, the NUUD is screen protector free and provides unfettered access to your beautiful touchscreen. The fit of the NUUD is excellent on the phone, there is a nice amount of grip, and it is a true pleasure to be able to touch the actual touchscreen of the phone. Construction quality seems to be very good: the NUUD passed its waterproof test without incident (keeping in mind, of course, that I was not able to do an accurate test for water pressure, as the depth of water I used was measured in inches rather than feet), and I’ve really been enjoying having it on my phone. The only area where I find it to be slightly lacking is in its audio quality: audio quality is still good, but not great. However, this is a problematic area for most waterproof cases, and the NUUD’s audio quality is not a deal breaker by any means.
* Meets IP68 standard: waterproof to 6.6 ft for one hour.
* Drop rated to 6.6 ft.
* Doesn’t require a screen protector (although an adhesive plastic screen protector is included if you want to protect your touchscreen against scratch hazards such as sand).
* Touch id works perfectly.
* Build quality seems excellent.
* Translucent back makes case seem smaller.
* Nice hand feel: Top and bottom have lots of grip, while the middle of the phone has a nice, sleek feel in the hands. It’s a good combination.
* Volume and power buttons are very responsive.
* Lightning port is reasonably generous in size and should fit many, if not most, third party lightning cables. As far as the headphone port opening, it is very recessed, and as with all waterproof cases I have seen, many headphones will require the use of the headphone extender cable that is included in the box.
* Audio quality is not as good as that of a naked iPhone. It is somewhat muted, with a little bit of distortion. This a common problem with waterproof cases, however, and is not bad by any means. It is absolutely usable.
* Mute switch is a bit stiff.
Conclusion: Overall, I found the NUUD to be quite pleasant to have on my phone, and I love having the waterproof protection and drop protection. As I said, it is wonderful to be able to touch my actual screen while using this case, and while it is larger than the slim protective cases I typically use, it is definitely not tank-like. It is an excellent waterproof case which will provide serious drop protection for your phone. Available in 5 colors (black, white, pink, blue and green), it has an MSRP of $99 and is available from LifeProof and other retailers. Many thanks to LifeProof for sending me out this case to review.
Finally, if you’d like more details, here is a link to my YouTube review: