Really want to show off that new iPhone SE? Want the clearest of clear cases, but still want mil-spec drop protection? Check out Speck’s CandyShell Clear! This clear case has a clear, scratch resistant polycarbonate on the outside and a clear, soft acrylic on the inside that is specially formulated to resist yellowing. The combination results in a very pretty case indeed, but one that is quite hard to get on your phone. The soft acrylic that lines the case is very slightly tacky in texture, and has a tendency to grip at your phone while you are trying to slip the case on. This can make installation a bit of an ordeal. But once the case is on, it looks quite fantastic on your iPhone SE.
- Looks great on your iPhone SE: if you have the Rose Gold color, it is especially nice.
- Mil-Spec certified: it should protect your phone from up to a 4 foot drop—perhaps more!
- Resists yellowing and scratches: Outer polycarbonate surface has a scratch-resistant coating and inner soft acrylic is specially formulated to resist yellowing.
- Slips easily into pockets and bags: smooth outer texture should slide easily in and out of your pocket or handbag.
- Nicely sized port openings: in the usual Speck fashion, the port openings are well sized and shouldn’t give you any trouble with third party lightning cables or headphones.
- Nice, clicky buttons: the power and volume buttons are a pleasure to press.
- Rather hard to install: due to the slightly sticky texture of the lining of the case, it is harder than usual to slide your phone into it. For those people used to a typical Speck install experience, it is a bit surprising. According to Speck, however, this stickiness will diminish over time. Fortunately, removal is easier than installation.
- Volume and power buttons are marred in appearance by Speck text: There are small snippets of text located on the inside of the case around both the volume buttons and the power buttons. These are presumably things Speck wanted on the case for legal reasons and had to put somewhere, but their positioning on the underside of the transparent volume and power buttons is distracting and unattractive.
Conclusion: Overall, the Speck CandyShell Clear does a great job in showcasing the beauty of your iPhone SE while providing mil-spec drop protection. It isn’t a grippy case, but it has a nice feel in the hand and looks great on your phone…once you get it on! Available in Clear and Onyx Black, the CandyShell Clear has an MSRP of $34.95 and is available directly from Speck as well as from Amazon and other retailers.
Amazon: http://amzn.to/1X6STUK (affilate link)
Finally, if you’d like more details, here is a link to my YouTube review: