Featuring full grain leather, play through iPhone access, excellent quality zippers, and a host of careful design touches including RFID blocking, the Intrepid Travel Wallet by WaterField Designs is practical, well made, and a pleasure to use. Well suited for both travel and everyday use, it is an organizational solution which holds cash, ID, credit cards, earbuds and perhaps a passport while giving you play through access to your iPhone 7 Plus. Crafted from beautiful distressed, full grain leather, the Intrepid has a clear plastic front compartment for your iPhone 7 Plus (or other large smartphone), a large interior compartment lined with Ultrasuede, two smaller and one larger interior mesh pockets for cards or cash, and a small, removable mesh Micro Wallet which is perfect for coins, earbuds, or other odds and ends. An optional attachment kit adds on the functionality of a leather wrist strap and brass carabiner clip. Overall, everything is very well made and displays an impressive level of craftsmanship. As far as play through access to your iPhone is concerned, the clear plastic covering the front of the phone compartment is easy to see your iPhone through, and works fine for basic touchscreen access. Clicking on apps works well, and you will have no problem reading news, email or Facebook entries while your iPhone is in the compartment. Swiping from side to side or up and down is also acceptable, although certainly not as easy as with a naked iPhone. However, typing is a bit of a pain, so if you have emails to write or other typing related tasks, you might want to simply slide your iPhone out of the Intrepid Travel Wallet for that part. Fortunately, inserting and removing your iPhone from its dedicated compartment is quite easy, so that’s really not much of a drawback, in my opinion.
- Outstanding leather quality: thick, beautiful, full grain leather is a pleasure to touch and should wear beautifully over time.
- Excellent iPhone access from within the Intrepid Travel Wallet, as long as you are primarily reading and not typing.
- Size Large (reviewed here) fits iPhone 7 Plus and other large smartphones; the Small size will fit the iPhone 7 and other similarly sized phones.
- Micro Wallet mesh pouch is perfect for EarPods, coins, or other miscellaneous items.
- Excellent quality metal G2 zipper.
- RFID blocking protects your credit cards and passport from unauthorized skimming.
- Lovely Ultrasuede lining.
- Large interior pocket has two smaller and one larger mesh pockets on its sides for easy organization.
- Made in the USA!
- Great for travel: easily fits your iPhone 7 Plus, passport, cash, foreign currency, and credit cards…with room to spare for earbuds, coins or other incidentals.
- Smartphone compartment is available both with a home button cutout and without. If you choose the option without a cutout, you can configure assistive touch to give you a virtual home button on your screen.
- Optional leather wrist strap and brass carabiner expand your carrying options.
- Dimensions: Small: 4.25 in. x 6.75 x.75 inches. Large: 5.0 x 7.3 x. 0.75 inches. Weight: Small: 3.2 oz. Large: 5.6 oz.
- Typing on your iPhone from within the smartphone compartment is a bit of a pain. Fortunately, it is easy to slide your iPhone out of the Intrepid Travel Wallet in such situations.
- Higher humidity may cause the plastic in the front compartment to stick temporarily to the screen of your iPhone, resulting in a small watermarking effect.
Overall, I think the Intrepid Travel Wallet is an attractive, well made, all in one carrying solution. It is great for travel, but is also excellent for everyday use. Available directly from WaterField Designs, the Intrepid Travel Wallet comes in either Grizzly Leather or Black Leather, retails for $99 for both the Small or Large sizes, and the carabiner/leather wrist strap option is an additional $15. Many thanks to the kind folks at WaterField Designs for sending me out this sample to review.