Doc Artisan has been making high quality leather wallet cases with magnetically detachable inner phone cases for a number of years, but they have made some pretty big changes for the v6 Sport Wallet. Rather than having the magnets located in the wallet, with the v6, Doc Artisan has moved them to the inner case itself. As a result, you can easily stick the inner phone case to any metal object, and it attaches extremely securely. It’s great for cooking, where you can just slap your iPhone onto the fridge (assuming it’s not stainless steel) and free up counter space, and is perfect for any other space where you have a flat metal surface to attach it to. On the downside, this means that the inner phone case is no longer compatible with magnetic car mounts, as two magnets don’t play all that well together. You can attach the entire wallet, but the magnetic connection is not super strong, and of course if your phone is inside the wallet case, you can’t see the screen. Another welcome change to the v6 is the improved protection and grip for the inner phone case. It now has protection around all four sides of the phone, the buttons are covered and there is considerable grip on the sides of the case. The outer sections of the wallet case also sport improvements: rather than separate card slots, there is now a single slide pocket with an easy access thumb slot which will accommodate a considerable volume of cards. Finally, there is a new, low profile magnetic clasp on the side of the wallet case which does a good job of keeping the wallet case securely closed.
* Detachable inner phone case has magnets in its back and can be attached securely to any flat metal object. Perfect for the fridge, assuming it’s not stainless steel!
* Full grain leather and excellent construction.
* RFID blocking.
* Magnetic closure flaps are small, but do the job, holding the wallet closed even with a considerable volume of cards and cash.
* One single card/cash pocket holds valuables securely and can hold quite a bit: I found no issues with six cards and some cash and more would probably fit.
* Unlike many leather wallet cases, the v6 is designed to be able to close nicely even with quite a few cards and cash inserted.
* Inner phone case has been redesigned, with grippy sides and greater protection for your iPhone.
* Optional plastic screen protector and microfiber cloth are included.
* Because the magnets are located on the inner phone case, rather than on the wallet, the inner phone case no longer works well with magnetic car mounts.
* My brown distressed leather review sample left some smears on the iPhone’s screen, presumably from oils from the leather’s surface. The smears wiped away easily, however. This may only be an issue with the distressed leather and may not occur with the other colors available for this product. It may also improve over time.
The Doc Artisan Sport Wallet v6 for iPhone 7 Plus is available directly from Doc Artisan and comes in 6 colors: tan leather, black leather and the distressed brown leather shown here, as well as three camouflage options. The Camouflage colors sell for $75 each and the black, brown and tan colors have an MSRP of $95. The Sport Wallet v6 is also available for the iPhone 6/6s/7 and 6 Plus/6s Plus. Many thanks to the kind folks at Doc Artisan for sending me out this sample to review.
Finally, if you’d like more details, here is a link to my YouTube review: