Offering various viewing and typing angles and a pleasant feeling and nicely made case for iPad Pro 9.7, the Speck StyleFolio Pencil really stands out from the crowd in its Apple Pencil support. It has a contoured cradle designed especially to fit Apple Pencil, as well as what it calls the Inkwell: a convenient stand that you can stick your Apple Pencil in when you are in the middle of using it. From a protective standpoint, the Apple Pencil cradle is superior to what you find on most cases with Pencil storage because it is located securely inside the folio when it is closed, rather than hanging on the outside of the case in a loop. Of course, if you don’t have an Apple Pencil or intend to get one, the StyleFolio might not be the best case choice for you as the Apple Pencil storage section does add a little width to the case. Speck offers a StyleFolio case for $20 less if you want to stay within the Speck brand and don’t feel the need for Pencil support.
* Excellent storage area for Apple Pencil as well as Inkwell stand area for on the go use.
* Very stable typing position as well as a number of other viewing angles.
* Closes securely with a sturdy plastic clasp.
* Speaker scoop design provides protection for all four of the iPad Pro’s speakers while routing sound upward and outward toward the user.
* iPad Pro seems nicely protected within the case, although there is no drop height or mil-spec rating associated with the StyleFolio Pencil.
* Magnets in the folio cover give the StyleFolio Pencil sleep/wake functionality.
* Buttons are uncovered, but recessed enough that they should be reasonably well protected.
* No drop height rating.
* Not ideal for use in stand mode in bed, or other similar environments, as the flexible cover tends to be less stable when it is not on a flat, hard surface.
The Speck StyleFolio Pencil is available directly from Speck as well as from other retailers and has an MSRP of $59.95. Many thanks to the kind folks at Speck for sending me out this sample to review!
For more details, check out my YouTube review for this case: